Congratulations to the following 2012 WINNERS!
Given our industry-wide goal of increasing produce consumption by 2020, it’s imperative that fresh fruit and vegetables appeal to the senses.
The Sensory Experience Contest, held on Sunday, October 28, showcased the latest innovative, kid-friendly recipes. A select panel of key buyers and local children choose the winning recipes from a group of 11 finalists. Criteria included: appearance, aroma, taste, innovation, quality indicators, produce-centric and kid-friendly recipes.
2012 Buyers' Choice Award Winner
Chilean Fresh Fruit Association
Chilean Fresh Fruit Pizza
2012 Kids’ Choice Award Winner
California Date Administrative Committee
Date Shakes and Smoothies
Rich Thoma, Yerecic Label, contest sponsor; Chef Kenji Terawaki, Chilean Fresh Fruit Association and Bryan Silberman, PMA President and CEO
Local kids from the Boys & Girls Club of Stanton sampled each recipe and participated as judges. Winners are also photographed here, with the sponsor of the contest, emcee, and Bryan Silberman, PMA President and CEO.
Competition yielded some luscious results.
In this photograph Rich Thoma, Yerecic Label, contest sponsor; Chef Oliver Wolf, JW Marriott Desert Springs & Lorrie Cooper, California Date Administrative Committee and Bryan Silbermann, PMA President and CEO.
Chef Kenji Terawaki, Chilean Fresh Fruit Association & Lorrie Cooper, California Date Administrative Committee receive their awards by Jill Overdorf, this years emcee and judge of contest.
Top 11 Finalists*
- Crispy California Asparagus Straws California Asparagus Commission Booth 2802
- Date Shakes and Smoothies California Date Administrative Committee Booth 2469
- Cal Giant Berry Yogurt Cones California Giant Berry Farms Booth 1544
- Chilean AvoDog Chilean Avocado Importers Association Booth 3602
- Chilean Fresh Fruit Pizza Chilean Fresh Fruit Association Booth 3602
- Freska Mango Chiller and Salsa Freska Produce International Booth 1370
- Mann’s Five-a-Day Hawaiian Cupcakes Mann Packing Company Booth 2056
- Misionero Sweet Tart Salad Misionero Vegetables Booth 1550
- Pear Ricotta Pancakes With Cinnamon Maple Syrup Sage Fruit Company Booth 1894
- Califia Farms Cuties Pops Sun Pacific/Califia Farms Booth 1286
- Sunkist® Orange Breakfast Panini Sunkist Growers, Inc. Booth 2138
*The 11 Finalists were pre-selected by the Judges.
Please see below for the rest of the delicious recipes submitted this year:
For more information and contest guidelines: Click Here
- Coosemans Shipping of LA, Jill Overdorf
- Delhaize America Inc., Kenneth Todd
- Fuzzy’s Taco Shops, John Allstadt
- Grupo Pao de Acucar/CBD, Samir Ruggiero
- Disney Consumer Products, John King
- Pro*Act, LLC, Mary Wright-Rana
- Raley’s, Greg Corrigan
- Northgate Gonzalez Markets, Alfonso Cano
- Sendik's Food Markets, Shane Towne
- Spinneys Dubai LLC, Johannes Holtzhausen
- Save Mart Supermarkets, Greg Calistro
- SUPERVALU, Kim Kirchherr, MS, RD, LDN, CDE
- Sysco, Nancy Johnston
- SUPERVALU, Jim Sarcletti